Paul A. Tres
ASME, SPE, SAE,
Consultant, Lecturer, Author,
NEW! View Paul A.Tres's profile
Paul A. Tres is a best selling author and an international
speaker and lecturer on plastic product development and
design having years of experience in design, marketing,
selling and manufacture of plastic components and systems
while serving the plastics and automotive industries.
For his contribution to the spread of knowledge about plastic product design
and development he was elected (1998) Fellow of the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE).
Mr. Tres offers a broad perspective of the plastic industry in general
and to the plastic marketing, manufacturing, material selection, and part design in special.
Mr. Tres' expertise extends to manufacturing processes such as in-mold-assembly, co-injection, fusible core injection
molding, gas assist injection molding, material selection, multi-shot injection
molding and project management with national and international teams of professionals
in Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico,
South Korea, Thailand, United Kingdom, and United States.
His experience includes innovation strategies, competitive analysis,
design trend mapping, new business concepts and the creation of
user experiences through integrative interaction of marketing and design.
A practicing consultant, author and lecturer, Paul is the founder of Engineering
Training Services, established in 1992 in Michigan as
a full service consultancy.
In parallel with his professional activity, he participated as a lecturer to
educate design, engineering and marketing professionals about plastics with Grand Valley State University in
Grand Rapids, MI (1996-2001), Purdue University in Fort Wayne, IN (2001-2002), Robert Morris University in Waukegan, IL (2010-2011), University of Michigan in Dearborn, MI
(2002-2013), University of North Carolina in
Charlotte, NC (1998-2001), University of Wisconsin - Madison, WI (1992-1996), and University
of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, WI (1998-2002).
Author of Designing
Plastics Parts for Assembly textbook published by Carl
Hanser Verlag, currently at its 6th
English edition and at the 1st Chinese edition, Paul A. Tres is a frequent
international lecturer, speaking on plastic product design and development, marketing
strategies, product positioning and introduction, design philosophy and robust design to audiences in
- Member of the Fellow Nomination Committee of Society of Plastics
- Councilor Corporate member - French-American Chamber of
- Elected Board Member, Detroit Section of SPE, 2002-2005
- Elected Board Member, Product Design and Development Division of SPE, 1994-2003
- Chairman, Product Design and Development Division of SPE (PD3), 1998-1999
Papers, Articles, Lectures & Webinars
- Understanding Critical Aspects of Plastic Part Design and Manufacturing, Webinar in
conjunction with Geometric Ltd.
- Geometric Limited, Mumbai, India - October 24, 2011
- Designing Plastic Parts for High-Speed Assembly, Webinar for Assembly Magazine
- BNP Media, Bensenville, IL - September 3, 2008
- Microspheres: Fillers Filled With Possibilities, Composites Technology
- Gardner Publications, Wheat Ridge, CO, April 2008
- a primary part of the design process, Modern Plastics
Worldwide - Cannon Communications LLC, Los Angeles, CA, July 2007
- Hollow Glass Microspheres Stronger Spheres Tackle Injection Molding, Plastics Technology
- Gardner Publications, New York, NY, May 2007.
High CARB Diet for Fuel Tanks, Modern
Plastics - Cannon Communications LLC, Los Angeles, CA, July 2006.
Notables: 10 Waves of the Future, Modern
Plastics - Cannon Communications LLC, Los Angeles, CA, September 2005.
- Designing Plastic Parts for High Speed Assembly, Assembly Technology Expo, Rosemont, IL, September 29, 2004
- Plastics ... Trends in the Industry, Keynote speech - National Plastics Exhibition (NPE2003), Chicago, IL, June 23, 2003
- Bright Future for Plastics, Plastics Insights, Cincinnati, OH, Volume 7, Issue 7, Dec. 2001/Jan. 2002
- Robust Design: ' 98MY DaimlerChrysler Upper Intake Manifold, 5th International Manifold Forum, Spitzingsee, Germany, 1998
- Plastic Part Design for Assembly, National Manufacturing Week Conference, Reed Exhibitions, Chicago, IL, 1998
- Fundamentals of Automotive Plastic Parts Design, Manual, SAE International Congress, Detroit, MI, 1996
- Understanding Safety Factors, Kunststoffe'95 - International Plastics Design and Processing Conference, Krefeld, Germany, 1995
- Lost Core Injection Molding Technology, SME Automotive Plastics Conference, Troy, MI, 1994
- Snap-Fit Snapshot, Assembly, vol. 36, Hitchcock Publishing Co., 1993
Legal discovery for patent dispute cases and product litigation cases, review of evidence, technical report preparation, etc for various law firms. Among them:
- Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, LLP of San Francisco, CA
- Fulmer & Fulmer PA of Lakeland, FL
- Griffin & Szipl P.C. of Arlington, VA
- Kreis, Enderle, Callander & Hudgins, P.C. of Kalamazoo, MI
- La Follette, Johnson, De Haas, Fesler & Ames of Los Angeles, CA
- Lynn, Jackson, Shultz & Lebrun, P.C. of Sioux Falls, SD
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP of Washington, DC
- Sellars, Marion & Bachi, P.A. of West Palm Beach, FL
- Slater & Zurz of Akron, OH